Real Talk Tuesday

02 October 2018
Time to get some real talking done. Mainly because I have had a few people ask what happened during this summer and instead of having to tell everyone separately I figured I might as well just blog about it. And lets just start off by saying real life hit me like a ton of bricks this summer.


During the first few weeks of July, I felt like I had the flu that wouldn't go away and man I wish it just had of been the flu. The morning of July 23rd I woke up with the worst pains in my stomach, I couldn't stand up straight I was hoping it would pass. When it didn't get better by lunch I knew something was really wrong so I went to the local ER. Normally, it is quite a wait but I was taken rather quickly since I was grey in color and the people around me who had been there long before me said I should go in first. So began one of the most traumatic times of my life. 

Test after test happened and nothing good was coming back, I stayed up in the ICU for the night and was transferred to city the next morning. More tests, more doctors, still in pain and no real answers or decisions on what they wanted to do. During all these tests they did find out that I had an abscess on my spleen which they wanted to see maybe if they could just drain but they were not sure if that would solve everything or if they should just go in for surgery. The doctor who was telling me all this I swear looked like he was 16! They tell me he was 31. I was moved again to another ICU and I had more tests. I swear I had every test done they could have performed at least once. They took so much blood I wasn't sure I had any left inside me. On Wednesday, I saw more doctors who basically went over the same stuff again with me saying maybe drain or maybe surgery...Okay I get it make up your mind and do something! Now, they were also telling me thankfully I went to the ER when I did because if I had of waited another 24hrs they wouldn't have been able to save me, thank god for strong antibiotics and pain killers.

It was around lunch time I think and there was a big, strong, handsome surgeon with two residents walking towards me. Dr. Hoogerboord was my life saver. What we didn't know was that the abscess had ruptured so all the poison was now inside my body. Dr. Hoogerboord took control and was like we are going to take you to surgery hopefully this afternoon or in the morning because he himself wanted to make sure it was him to who did the surgery. He said everything would be okay, promised my mom to take good care of me and then went on his way. I was excited to know that decisions had been made but scared because of the surgery. My surgery ended up being that afternoon and lasted for about 5 hours. When it was done I'm without a spleen or appendix, add in 50 staples to my stomach but who cares because I'm alive and ready to heal. The difference in myself from Wednesday to Thursday was amazing. I gave my mom another scare because when they came back the next morning I wasn't in my bed but sitting up in the chair, hair washed and having some juice. All my pain was gone minus the pain from the surgery which was nothing compared to what I had been feeling. Everything was okay, I was in recovery mode. Hoogerbooard came back to tell us how everything went since he ended up having to go right into another surgery after mine finished because of an accident. I stayed in the hospital for another week and then finally got to come home or fully recover. I'm almost back to normal now and could not be more thankfully for all the doctors and nurses who gave me the best care I could have asked or hoped for.

I also want to say my family was amazing during this time. I have told them many times how grateful I am to have them but I will say it again and again because I don't know what I would have done without them especially my sister Erica, mom and cousin Callee. You don't know how important certain people are to you until you really need them and they step up to plate in more ways then you knew they would.

Gosh, I didn't mean for this to become this long but here we are! So that was my summer I hope yours was less dramatic.

Have a great day everyone! Thanks for dropping by!

4 comments

  1. Oh my gosh Brittany!!! I am so glad you are ok!!! That sounds beyond scary. How wonderful you had that doctor and of course, your family with you during that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was definitely one of the most scary times in my life for sure but luckily I had great doctors! Happy it is all behind me now!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow. You have been through so much. Just wow. I am so glad you are ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was a lot but I got through it :)

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving some comments! I love them and make my day a little brighter :)